At John Clifford we really appreciate the value of learning outside the classroom and we aim to offer a good selection of experiences. All classes enjoy day trips to support their topic work and we have an established programme of residential visits for our children.
In Years 3 and 4 children are offered an environmental residential trip whilst children in Year 6 have the opportunity to attend a five day activity holiday, at Kingswood. We know how important these trips are in developing the children’s independence and their self esteem, in widening their socials skills and in offering exciting new opportunities- making memories that will last a lifetime!
Years 3 and 4
The children are offered a 2 night/3 day residential at St Michael’s Environmental Education Centre in Hathersage, in the Heart of the Peak District National Park.
St Michael’s is highly subsidised by the county council and offers excellent value for money. The centre provides good quality walking boots and waterproof tops and trousers for everyone whilst they are at the centre, so there is no need to buy lots of expensive walking gear.
During the visit the children enjoy activities like:
• a short train ride and day walk led by one of the centre’s highly qualified staff
• a treasure hunt around Hathersage involving map work and clue solving
• a visit to the Treak Cliff Caverns including a guided tour
• evening games
• Stream dipping
The children are offered an exciting four night/five day activity centre residential, to Kingswood.
During the trip the children experience:
• A varied programme of adventurous activities led by the centre’s trained staff, including rock climbing, canoeing and archery designed to increase self esteem and offer new experiences.
• Problem solving activities including a survival challenge, a treasure hunt and group work all designed to develop communication skills, build effective teams, increase cooperation and improve confidence.
• Sports Hall activities
• Arts and Crafts
• Evening games, including a Murder Mystery and the exciting cellar challenge!